7.26.2011

law/virtues




a bit of my morning reading today.




..sometimes its just nice to be reminded of the things we already know, or thought we knew..


This means a few things to me..
the law, νόμος, as in the binding command passed from generation to generation, 
rule producing a state approved of by God,
the Mosaic law..
This use of law is very black and white
what is written in the Old Testament,
and there doesn't really seem to be much freedom in it.


But Jesus' law,
the "laws" that Jesus passed to us,
how to live our lives in love towards others,
they're much freer and full of life rather than seeming constricting.


This is not to say that the law was bad...Paul addresses that in the next verses as well..
He says that because of the law he understood sin and:
"It was sin, working death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin,
 and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure." 7:13






I really like how Marguerite Porete says it, in poetic form

Virtues, I take my leave of you forever,
I will possess a heart most free and gay; 
You service is too constant, you know well.
Once I placed my heart in you, retaining nothing;
You know that I was to you totally abandoned;
I was once a slave to you, but now am delivered from it.
I had placed my heart completely in you, you know well.
Thus I lived a while in great distress,
I suffered in many grave torments, many pains endured.
Miracle it is that I have somehow escaped alive.
This being so, I no longer care: I am parted from you,
For which I thank God on high; good fro me this day.
I am parted from you dominations, which so vexed me.
I was never more free, except as departed from you.
I am parted from you dominations, in peace I rest.



No comments: